City have today confirm the signing of Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic, 23, for a fee believed to be £22 million after Spanish striker Alvaro Negredo, 27, completed his transfer from Sevilla for £20 million on Thursday.
Montenegrin striker Jovetic flew to England last night and underwent a medical at Bridgewater Hospital today. He is the fourth signing of the summer after Fernandinho and Jesus Navas joined the club earlier in the summer and Negredo arrived in Manchester on Thursday.
After the departure of Carlos Tevez to Juventus earlier in the month speculation was rife as to who would replace him but Manuel Pellegrini has quashed any speculation with the capture of Negredo and Jovetic. Upon signing Jovetic said:
Florence will remain in my heart. I came here as a boy and I’m leaving as a man. This is a beautiful city and I was really fine. But I’m happy to go to City because they play in the Premier League and they are a very important team. I just want to win something. And then I’ll find my great friend Nastasic.
Negredo on the otherhand said:
I am happy to go to a big team.
Both Negredo and Jovetic are expected to join up with the squad in Hong Kong for the next leg of the pre-season tour at the weekend.
City have been able to quietly go about their business as Manchester United and Chelsea steal the headlines with the Rooney transfer saga, which Chelsea have now involved themselves in, set to rumble on all summer. It couldn’t be more of a contrast to last summer where the majority of City’s transfer activity was haphazard and most of the new players were substandard, with the exception of Matija Nastasic and Jack Rodwell. Of course it is too soon to tell whether the new signings will be a success but it is comforting to see that City’s transfer strategy this summer is more thorough.
It looks as if City’s busy fee days in the transfer market are set to continue as it is reported that a bid had been made for Benfica winger Eduardo Salvio.
Written by Robert Toole